East London for Airbnb is becoming one of London’s hotspots. Many for tourist are choosing to stay in East London due to it’s close proximity to the City and the New Financial District of Canary Wharf. Two of the most popular areas are Limehouse and Wapping.
Limehouse dates back to the mid-14th century and originated from limekilns that converted Kentish chalk into capital’s building industry commonly known as quicklime. Limehouse has been known as a company that builds ships since the 16th century. These ships were then transported for voyages by various traders. During the 18th century, the rich few constructed their mansions along Narrow Street, and that’s when Nicholas Hawksmoor established himself as a nobleman and built the most outstanding church in London in 1730 on the south of Commercial Road and named it St. Anne.
Limehouse ware was produced in 1740 by a short-lived pottery. In 1770, the Limehouse Cut was established and connected River Lea with Thames here at Bow and as the name suggests, it saved time around the Isle of Dogs. Limehouse grew very fast and became the first Chinatown in London. Even though the Chinese community wasn’t large, it was well known for opium-smoking and gambling, and Limehouse wasn’t left behind as it offered a background for Dr. Fu Manchu films.
As it is not always sunshine and rainbow for any company, Limehouse experienced various challenges such as the closure of the London docks that preceded its decline, but it survived and transformed so much.
There were several houses that went through a process of gentrification in the late 1950s, and one of them was the Narrow Street’s houses. In the 1970s and 1980s, some of the warehouses that were left unused for a long time were utilized by being converted into beautiful apartments. Since then, some of the private developers added new units and some of them have excessive haste that capitalizes on the residential boom from Docklands.
In early 1990, Limehouse continued its outstanding work and constructed a link that connected the Canary wharf leading to the City of London with the Highway. In 1990, the theatre of Half moon was moved to Limehouse board’s former offices on White Horse Road. If you are looking for a place that hosts conferences, concerts, and other events, the former Troxy cinema is the place, located at 490 Commercial Road.
In 2011, Limehouse had 3.6% Chinese which was an increase from 2001’s census on 2.7%. However, it goes without saying that there are only a few Chinese restaurants in Limehouse, but people of Bangladeshi are the largest followed closely by White British.
The name of the which is believed to have come from the first inhabitants of the area. These people were known as Saxons, and their leader was called Waeppa. It’s known for its prosperous trade’s history which revolves around water. They were practising successful trades on boat building, instrument making, the making of the mast, and victualing.
Wapping had a place set aside for hanging pirates and sea goers who contravened the law. The infamous London’s execution block was housed here for more than 400 years. The area hanged over the Thames on a dock. It is the dock where those who break the law could be hanged. They could stay hanging for three days, and their bodies could then be submerged in the water in line with their traditions.
The law stated that Admiralty could only give sermons, here and determines the crimes committed at sea. Therefore, the dock and gibbet location was beyond the low tide mark. A well-renowned pirate known as Captain Kidd was executed here.
A marine police force was first established in Wapping which was tasked with cubing ships crime in the area. A local magistrate formed a group of the police officer in late 1700, which was supposed to execute the order. However, these criminals continued to damage ships and stealing properties from sailings, which made the police task force to transform to Marine support unit. The unit remains at wapping high street to date. Wapping high street also houses the Thames police museum.
In the 19th century, sea trade shifted from Wapping to other areas as new docks were built in different locations. Therefore, wapping stopped to enjoy the monopoly of sea trade. This triggered a mass exodus and wapping lost approximately 60% of its population as industries moved to other areas.
However, in the early 1800s, Marc Isambard Brunel built the Thames Tunnel. This boosted the wapping because it was the first tunnel in the world that was running under water. The tunnel ran from wapping to Rotherhithe, but it was later integrated as a part of London underground network. The tunnel faced severe problems even though it was the main source of the tourist attraction, which benefited the natives.
The wapping suffered a series of events despite the fact that it was peripheral in dockland terms. The first attack occurred during Second World War when raids bombed it. Wapping latter suffered when London dock closed after the war and moved away. This made the area to deteriorate and had no hope for improvement. However, in the 1980s, the city started to improve again. Today, wapping is home to desirable businesses and luxury waterside homes, making it a fabulous area for vacation rentals.